I want to transmit a SPIHT-based (Set Partitioning In Hierarchical Trees) image compressed image over a wireless fading channel, which will be suitable as channel coding technique: Reed-Solomon or convolutional code?
If you have the opportunity to use the SPIHT structure, you can look for error-resilient extensions:
- Error Resilient Compression and Transmission of Scalable Video, Sungdae Cho and William A. Pearlman
- Error-Resilient and Error Concealment 3-D SPIHT, Jie Zhu, R. M. Dansereau, Aysegul Cuhadar
- Error-resilient video coding with improved 3D SPIHT and error concealment, Sungdae Cho and William A. Pearlman
The following sources use Reed-Salomon:
- A GPU-Accelerated Wavelet Decompression System With SPIHT and Reed-Solomon Decoding for Satellite Images, Changhe Song, Yunsong Li, Bormin Huang
- An Efficient Source–Channel Coding for Wireless Image Transmission Over Underwater Acoustic Channel, Hanaa S. Ali, Asmaa M. Atallah, M. I. Abdalla