In the field of signal processing, when a spectral peak is fitted with a Gaussian, is there a name for the quantity obtained by multiplying amplitude with frequency and dividing by the standard deviation (sigma) of the Gaussian?

It's meant to be a measure of oscillation strength.

I think I saw that quantity named something like "beta factor" or "beta coefficient" (but not exactly like that, albeit I'm quite sure "beta" was in the name) somewhere in neuroscience literature, and I can't remember where.

  • $\begingroup$ Interesting! I haven't heard of this. What context are you in? Communication signals in Doppler/Fading channels? Or more description of classical Oscillators? Or are you a physicist somewhere in quantum regime? Context very likely helps a lot when finding terms :) $\endgroup$ Commented Feb 27 at 11:01
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @MarcusMüller I read it in the neuroscience literature. I think it was referring to CPG (Central Pattern Generator) activity, neural circuits that generate rhythmic activity for rhythmic motor patterns such as locomotion, respiration, heartbeat, chewing, peristalsis, etc. $\endgroup$
    – fbaroni
    Commented Feb 28 at 11:14
  • $\begingroup$ cool! Added that to your question! Absolutely not my area of expertise, sadly. $\endgroup$ Commented Feb 28 at 11:59


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.