A linear filter with a kernel that has zero mean could be thought of as a "DC-rejecting" filter. Is there a better or more commonly used adjective for such a filter?

  • $\begingroup$ Highpass, bandpass? $\endgroup$ Feb 22, 2021 at 20:22
  • $\begingroup$ @aconcernedcitizen one word that includes both of those $\endgroup$
    – Museful
    Feb 24, 2021 at 2:15

3 Answers 3


"Zero-Mean" is the word that's commonly used to describe signals and signals with a zero average. "This is a zero-mean filter."

If you really mean a filter that is specifically meant to cancel the DC component, a "DC blocker" is a name for that.


In complement to Marcus, I have read the term "zero-sum": "zero-sum window", "zero-sum filter", "zero-sum kernel", the latter being more frequent. It is similar to "unit-sum windows", ie windows whose amplitudes sum to one. "Zero-average" can be found in image processing:

Further note that applying any alternative zero-average filter (in Fragmentation in the Vision of Scenes).

I however have met the term more on the opposite side: "non zero-sum" to characterize a window choose coefficients don't add to zero, which could be turned into a unit-sum window.


In audio applications, this would be a low-cut filter. The term is often used synonymous with high pass, though that would not accurately describe general zero-mean filters.

A unit-mean filter meanwhile is indeed a lowpass filter.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.