I need to detect the exact position of some kitchen tools using machine vision. I've the possibility to label the tools with a pattern, to make the detection (more specifically the image segmentation) easier.
What is the easiest pattern to detect using machine vision?
The pattern should be:
- Easy detect in presence of partial occlusions.
- Easy to detect with varying and degraded light conditions.
- Easy to detect with widely used computer vision algorithms, in particular lightweight algorithms that can run on edge devices.
- Hard to mistake for another object (in a kitchen).
- Possibly carrying some additional information.
A QR code fits this description pretty nicely. My guess is that the easiest pattern will contain a sharp alternation of two colors, likely black and white.