In 2D images we call the smallest picture elements pixels, in 3D images we call them Voxels (for volume pixels).

I was wondering if there is a word that can denote them both (pixel and voxel), and possibly be used to mean any n-dimensional picture element.

For example, I want to write something like:

Given an n-dimensional image with N pixels/voxels

Where I want to replace pixels/voxels with just one word that would also denote these elements in other dimensions.


From Wiktionary:

hypervoxel (plural hypervoxels)

  1. A multidimensional analogue of a voxel

From Digital Design Media - Mitchell & McCullough, 1995:

Pixel X,Y Voxel X,Y,Z Hypervoxel X,Y,Z,T 12.1 A hypervoxel in a four-dimensional coordinate system

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.