Hi I am working on emulating a piece of analog audio equipment and would like to be able to create a transfer function based on the measured percentages of harmonic distortion.

I know that harmonic distortion can be modeled as follows (assuming range of -1 to 1):

2nd order: y = x - (1/2) * (x^2 * sign)

3rd order: y = x - (1/3) * x^3

The amount of distortion can then be changed by mixing wet and dry signals, and frequency response approximated by filtering the polynomial input.

What I want to know is how to calculate a wet dry mix based on harmonic distortion percentage, and how that applies to these transfer functions. Is there an equation / method I can use to calculate this?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.