I'm looking for a definition of shadow, mid-tone and high-light regions in digital image. I understand these are related to different parts of the histogram of image, i.e., shadows are the left-part, mid-tones the middle-part and high-lights are the right part of the histogram. However I'm not sure how these are exactly defined. By googling I have found different alternatives: the regions divide the pixels in three parts where each region contains one third of the pixels (from the darkest to lightest), regions are specified by gaussian-like functions (do not understand how single pixel value can belong to multiple regions), etc. ?

  • $\begingroup$ Can I please ask, what are you trying to achieve? $\endgroup$ – A_A Feb 22 '17 at 8:55
  • $\begingroup$ Hi, my question is related to implementing an auto-color option related to color balance for an image. In the case of Gimp and photoshop these terms are actively used when it comes to balancing an image, but their precise meaning are not clear to me. $\endgroup$ – Vili Feb 22 '17 at 10:38

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.