In my DSP course we are learning right now about the Time-dependent Fourier Transform (TDFT), but I can't find any information about it online.

My professor said that it is similar to the Short-time Fourier Transform which I can find information about, except that whereas the STFT has a fixed signal and moving window, the TDFT has a moving signal and fixed window.

So does this TDFT usually go by a different name?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ short-time FT, short-term FT, time-dependent FT. They are all the same, as far as I know. $\endgroup$ – msm Oct 22 '16 at 2:53
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ just depends on if your perspective is moving along with the window or with the signal $\endgroup$ – robert bristow-johnson Oct 22 '16 at 3:24
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Your professor make a simple thing complex by not explaining the incentive - To use FT you need to assume that the signal components are not changed during the measure. The size of the window is selected to allow the best extract of the desired signal. $\endgroup$ – Moti Oct 23 '16 at 4:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.