Suppose I have a sinusoidal signal of the form $x(t) = a\sin\left(2\pi b(t-c)\right) + d$. I understand $a$ is the amplitude, $b$ is the wave number, and $c$ is the phase shift. I know that the term $d$ shifts the entire signal vertically, but does it have a specific name in signal processing?


It is usually called DC offset or DC component. Since you use $t$ as a variable, which suggests "time", the quantity $b$ would normally be called frequency. Also note that $c$ is not the phase but a time offset. The phase $\phi$ is usually defined as in

$$x(t)=A\sin(2\pi ft+\phi)\tag{1}$$

Comparing (1) to your formula gives $\phi=-2\pi bc$.

  • $\begingroup$ Ah yes! I keep forgetting that the terminology changes if the variable is time vs space, even though the form is equivalent mathematically. $\endgroup$ – Paul May 4 '15 at 16:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.