I have started with Matlab and Digital Image Processing. I am trying to do Fingerprint recognition. I found many research papers regarding this but I am unsure where to start. Concisely, what is the most basic approach/algorithm for doing fingerprint recognition ?
The following are the basics of image processing for finger prints
- Make sure you understand what a finger print is. It is basically a signature for every human being. Every finger on each hand on every person (even twins) have unique patterns. These patterns are of interest to you.
- These patterns are classified into categories. Deltas, circles etc.
- You must understand what valleys,ridges, bifurcations, etc are.
- Once you understand the two above and a bit more, you go onto fingerprint acquisition.
- Once you have an image. The interesting and difficult part begins. Such as segmentation, enhancement of certain patterns, noise reduction, finally encoding.
- The encoding part is the penultimate part. When you have an filter/processed image, you create a digital signature which is called encoding. This signature is what the whole fingerprint ended up in.
- You then create more digital signatures for other images.
- You make comparisons of these images, trying to figure out matches.
- Matching itself is another story. Where you will try to see false matches and true matches.
Still there are plenty of other things you need to do. But these are the basics. Lengthy but you can do it if you have interest in it :)
Take a look at this repository.
It uses oriented gabor filters to perform noise removal, thereby enhancing the image. It can also recover broken ridges up to a certain extent.