I wanted to consult with some experts whether or not this pre-processing step is excessive for what I'm trying to achieve. I am in a similar scenario as the author of the article, where I have many many colonies that I'm trying to segment and distinguish from the background. So I found this article:
- Power-Law Transformation,
- Homomorphic Processing,
- Log of Image,
- Subtracting Original image by Gaussian Kenrel of Image,
- Vincent Dome Transform (never heard of this, so I just used a different de-noising algorithm)
- Morphological Operator,
- 3x3 Median Filter
Then we continue with the main part of the recipe:
II. Background Segmentation
III. Cell Segmentation
IV. Convex Hull Segment Splitting
V. Post Processing
I have no problem going through with this I've already Implemented step 2-6 (not sure how to apply 1). My only concern that it's time consuming to iterate one test for every time I change a value of a controllable variable.
Finally got to ask my professor (an expert of Computer Vision and Machine Learning) and she goes "no this is not excessive at all"